Last Updated on
The P2200 generator is quite affordable compared to its competition. It comes with an easy operating manual. It operates quietly and is fairly light and portable. The noise levels are low due to its quiet operating technology. It is generally convenient, multi- functional and easy to use. The downside might be the noise levels that are, nevertheless, slightly above that of known peers like the Honda EU2200i inverter generator. It also requires users to be highly familiar with the operating guides to avoid machine damage.
- Has an affordable cost
- Fitted with a dedicated parallel port that can be connected to a P2200 or P3000 unit for higher power output
- Hard to start, needs around 3 pulls on the recoil
- It is not very durable
The Briggs and Stratton P2200 portable generator is a powerful multifunctional machine that is a flagship project of one of the biggest names in the generator market today. Indeed, Briggs and Stratton generator manufacturers rank among the great industry leaders in this niche. The machine has awesome features that enables parallel running at home. It allows you to run several generators at the same time, powering multiple appliances with ease.
Everyone desires to own a generator that allows for parallel running at home. This gives you a great advantage in running multiple appliances. Unfortunately, despite the high demand, few generators of this type are available. The P2200 generator gives you a lot of versatility. You are able to run an extra generator, choosing from the Extra Power series of the Briggs and Stratton type. The second generator will run parallel to the first. The result is the much needed extra power. Certainly, this parallel function is a great asset if you wish to enjoy extra benefits in the convenience of the home.
Interestingly, the Briggs and Stratton Power Smart generator series is famous for using a highly effective inverter technology. This unique technology gives a pure sine wave that is below 3% harmonic distortion. This kind of clean power is perfect for protecting sensitive electronic gadgets. Indeed, it is this special inverter that enables the parallel function
The Briggs and Stratton P2200 portable generator has many admirable features. Below are a few:
- The 110cc engine starts at 2,200 watts and produces 1,700 watts running.
- Compared to the traditional small camping generator, it is 45% lighter and 38% quieter in function.
- With it, you can run multiple appliances without hassle.
- You can use 1 gallon of fuel to enjoy 6 hours continuous power.
- It features an automatic idle control, recoil start, permanent magnet alternator and low oil shutdown.
- On purchase, you get a quick start guide, an operator’s manual and engine oil.
- Its H-handle special design allows one to move the generator easily when required. Two people may even share the load.
- The Briggs and Stratton generator is the best machine of its kind, suitable for outdoor recreation, camping, tailgating and emergency power. This is possible due to its lightweight design and quiet operation.
- The power smart mode is most helpful. It lowers generator noise and saves a lot on fuel. Factoring its electric load, it also adjusts engine speed. This happens automatically.
- You get extra protection and increased power from its LED output which displays as green. The low oil, which displays as yellow and overload alert, displayed as red, are important features that allow you to monitor its function.
- With just one gallon of fuel tank, you can run a maximum of 25% engine load.
- The machine has enhanced protection against damage due to its highly effective push to reset design. You can easily connect your generator to another generator of the Power Smart 2,200 or 3,000 series. This is thanks to the three outlets in its control panel. One of this is a DC and the other two are household. A USB adapter completes the highly functional parallel operation features. With these features you can power several lights, TVs, crock-pots, electronics, blenders and music equipment and a variety of other gadgets.
- The generator is extremely quiet, producing just 59Db operating noise. This is actually quieter than normal human conversation! With this machine, it is very safe connecting to your sensitive electronic devices like laptops, smart phones and tablets. This is because the generator adjusts the engine speed automatically, controlling power.
Briggs and Stratton P2200 Specifications
- Starting Watts* 2200
- Running Amps 14.16
- Engine Displacement (cc) 110
- Fuel Tank Capacity (gal) 1
- Alternator Permanent Magnet
- Low Oil Shutdown Yes
- Muffler Super Lo-Tone™
- Hour Meter No
- Decibel† dB(A) 59
- Weight (lbs) 54
- Length (in) 21
- Commercial Warranty (Product) ** 90-day
- Running Watts* 1700
- Volts 120
- Surge Amps 18.33
- OHV Engine Yes
- Run Time up to 8.0 @ 25% Load
- Start Type Recoil
- Automatic Idle Control Yes
- Fuel Gauge No
- Spark Arrestor Yes
- Width (in) 12.5
- Height (in) 17.35
- Consumer Warranty (Product) ** 2-year Limited
Functions and Ease of Use
The P2200 generator is very easy to use and can be operated by the most novice user who has little experience with generators. The machine has a standard recoil pull start. This makes it possible for virtually anyone to start it easily.
For ease of access, the rotary power knob is found right below the pull cord. The control center is a favorite of many. It is aesthetically pleasing and works wonderfully. The generator boasts great character due to the beautiful contrast featured between the black, silver and red colors in the control center. The white label is also easy to read.
The designers of the generator cleverly planned for user safety. They designed three buttons that work for power reset. A second reset button is located in the control panel. It is easy to monitor the state of your generator. The LED indicator lights easily alert you. You can then take the necessary remedial measures as required.
How Does it Work?
The first light indicates that the generator is working perfectly.
The second light warns that the generator is overloaded. Whenever the machine goes low on oil the last light glows. All these measures help ensure that the generator works efficiently and is protected from hazards like overheating, overloading and similar damages.
The 30651 generator is designed to power many home appliances. The machine features several types of power source receptacles. The first is a 12v DC port. It enables users to access a cigarette-lighter-like plug. This works well for charging tablets, smartphones, cellphones and similar gadgets.
The machine has two 120v electrical outlets. This is good for household appliances. It also means you can continue enjoying power during a blackout. In case of outage, you can have power during a tailgating event. If you need to use extra power, you are advised to buy two inverters. You will need to hook these up together in parallel. By doing this, you can get a whopping 4400 watts starting power. The parallel cord is easy to use and can be purchased separately from Briggs and Stratton.
Is it any wonder that the Briggs and Stratton P2200 generator is a best small generator for many users? It actually owes a lot to its ease of use.
Before buying a generator, determine how loud it is. More importantly, you need to know the sound levels that are considered too loud for these machines. In general terms, such noise levels are usually measured in decibels. The recommended industry standard for measuring noise levels is set at 23 feet away from the generator location.
Most portable generators have noise levels falling in the 70-80 decibel range, while running at 1/4 load. Comparatively, this is equivalent to the sound produced by the vacuum cleaner at home. If the load is about 25%, the noise measurement from 7 meters will be 59 db. This is similarly comparable with normal human conversation. It is important to measure this. Remember that you might need to use the generator during emergencies without unduly disturbing neighbors.
The Briggs and Stratton quiet power technology ensures that generator noise levels are generally kept low. Indeed, it goes below the noise levels of most other generators. With this machine, the noise levels never rise above 60 decibels at 25% load. For this reason, the generator is considered to be ideal and perfect, featuring respectably in the noiseless class of engines.
Service, Warranty and Manual
You will not have issues with warranty using this generator. Briggs and Stratton happens to be a well-known brand in the generator industry. Moreover, it is an industry leader in this market. When you buy your set, it comes with a commercial limited warranty that lasts for 12 months. You also get a consumer warranty. It lasts for 24 months. This plan protects you against material or structural deficits in the product. The comprehensive cover lasts for the whole duration of warranty.
However, the consumer has a special responsibility to care for the product. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear issues. You can obtain a digital copy of the document at the Briggs and Stratton website. It’s advisable to familiarize yourself with the manual before use so that you can avoid problems using the product. Indeed, you should be familiar with the generator features even before purchase. All information on the product is always available online.
Power Smart Parallel Kit
You can buy a parallel kit bundle at the Amazon stores. This includes a Briggs and Stratton P2200 AND P3000 parallel cable. If you want to make some savings, it is advisable to buy the packaged bundle instead of purchasing separate units.
Features of the Parallel Kit
- It is able to connect two generators of the Power Smart series. This is the P2200 AND P3000 units. It offers you a double power capacity.
- It provides consistent power to your home appliances and the RV.
- It has a 4800 watts maximum capacity for the P3000 model.
- It has a year’s limited warranty.
- It provides great flexibility and convenience.
Note that the other generator models may not work with the parallel cable from Briggs and Stratton. This is due to incompatibility. Actually, all brands of generators typically have their own unique cables. This enable users to connect parallel generators. For this reason, it’s important to purchase the cable provided by manufacturers.
Apparently, most consumer problems can actually be traced to inexperienced first-time users. These usually range from starting issues to problems that come 10-15 minutes after the machine started running. Happily, the Briggs and Stratton no hassle warranty package will cover most of these issues satisfactorily.
Once again, the secret of keeping the generator running for many years is simply to familiarize yourself with the product manual before use. Do not forget to maintain the schedule for maintenance. This will ensure that the generator runs at peak performance and avoids problems along the line.
Briggs & Stratton P2200 vs Westinghouse iGen2200
It is very enlightening to begin a comparison between the Briggs and Stratton portable generator and its main competitor. Indeed, this shines the light to the user and proves that the Briggs and Stratton P2200 is correctly rated as the best inverter generator in the market. Customers really love the quiet power technology and parallel function ability. These are their favorite features.
It is a very close race comparing the two types of generators-the Briggs and Stratton P2200 and the Westinghouse iGen2200 portable generators. The Westinghouse generator costs just a little bit more than the Briggs and Stratton unit. The difference in price is very small. Indeed, the price difference is not enough to affect a major purchasing decision.
It is notable that the P2200 features a DC outlet. The iGen2200, on the other hand, features a dual USB outlet. This is probably no big deal to many buyers. For a few potential customers, however, this can be significant and therefore you need to carefully consider the facts before making a decision to purchase.
Considering noise levels, the iGen2200 is slightly less noisy than the Briggs and Stratton generator. The former functions at a 52 db rate whereas the Briggs and Stratton functions at 59db. The iGen offers a 12hour runtime. The P2200 offers 8 hour run time. The biggest difference between the two, however, is the weight during transportation. The Westinghouse weighs about 10lbs less than the P2200.
Briggs and Stratton P2200 vs Honda EU2200i
The Honda EU2200 costs about twice the price of the Briggs and Stratton portable generator. It has some few added features. These features may be worth the price or not. It all depends on different customer needs. The Honda produces the same quantity of power as the Briggs and Stratton. The only difference is that the Honda does this at 48 db noise levels. This is significantly lower than the noise levels produced by the Briggs and Stratton generator.
The Briggs and Stratton has multiple handles for ease of use and transportation, a feature that is superior to the Honda. It is however a bit heavier than the Honda and this might be disadvantageous. Both of these machines are fairly lightweight. Nevertheless, the new version of the Honda comes slightly lighter than its predecessor.
If you compare the run times, it is about the same. They both provide 8 hours runtime at 25% load, which is impressive. All in all, Honda seems to be the frontrunner, all factors considered. It is, however, up to the buyer to consider whether the higher price for this generator is commensurate with the advantages it gives.
Is the Briggs and Stratton P2200 the right generator for you? The most important factor is what you will use the generator for. That is what should guide your decision to buy it or not. All factors considered, the Briggs and Stratton is the perfect generator for powering tools on the job, powering appliances during outage and tailgating expeditions.
It enables you to power most appliances, including the refrigerator and other devices of moderate wattage requirements. It also functions quieter than most of its peers and can power the entire home, run several appliances at a go, power the RV and do a variety of other multi-functions. After considering all the benefits and features, you might decide that the Briggs and Stratton P2200 actually offers good value for money. For sure, it is probably one of the best buys for a generator of its price and class.
- Briggs and Stratton P2200 Specifications
- Potential Problems
- Briggs & Stratton P2200 vs Westinghouse iGen2200
- Briggs and Stratton P2200 vs Honda EU2200i