Honda has been prominent for its portable inverter generator lineup for a long time. The journey began 20 years ago when Honda pioneered the use of inverter in portable coverings. Nonetheless, Honda’s inverter technology was so persistent that it could generate power closer to the “line power”. That was impossible for any other non-inverter generator at that time. Alongside this persistency they made the generator portable, easy-to-use and light weight, no one could resist something like that. As the days passed by Honda kept improving its designs, models, performances and eventually they reached to the Honda EU2000i. This product has earned its right to be a legend. It had more power than ever, more durability, top notch performances and noise like a walking cat. That was a sneaky beast with prominent performance. It’s been in the market for a long time and Honda was ruling over the generator industries with it.
Now, can Honda satisfy its vast client base with EU2000i? Can they hold on to a single product for that long? Can they stop making legendary generators? No. They had to move on. So, at the early spring 2018 Honda made available its new legend, The EU2200i, nationwide. EU2200i is perfect than ever. It generates 10% more power than EU2000i. It has tons of new features that made Eu2200i standout among other portable generators both inside and outside Honda. It comprises color coded components, stress-free oil fill/drain, smart fuel shut off valve, concentrated output on low RPM and many other features that made it easier to carry, use and maintain.
The first series was the EU1000i by which Honda revolutionized portable inverter generator. It had goodwill of being silent and after 20 years Honda still continues that goodwill and EU2200i is the most noiseless version of it. If light weight, powerful and quite is the definition of portable generator then EU2200i is the only Inverter generator that defines its kind.
10% more power: Honda EU2200i is now more powerful than Honda’s previous version EU2000i. This allows the users to use more equipment. 2200 Watts simultaneous power supply helps powering a wide variety of electronic devices that were not possible before. No matter which device you have you can power it with EU2200i.
Honda GXR120 Engine: This engine was industrialized for heavy duty construction uses and now it is used in EU2200i. This gives the generator extreme durability and reliability. The GXR120 is top of its class and can produce simultaneous power supply ensuring prefect power for EU2200i.
Easy starting: EU2200i is engineered nicely so that you get a quick and smooth starting every time. It has automatic mechanical de-compressor that ensures reduced force to start the machine.
Less noise: Noise is a strong issue when you are using a portable generator. Honda made this generator keeping that in mind. EU2200i is so quite that it produces sound like a normal conversation allowing you a noise free power support for your home, RV or camp.
Light weight: The term portable generator indicates light weight product and EU2200i in not an exception. It is only 47 pound and its size is so compact that you can move it anytime and anywhere.
Fuel Efficiency: This one has exclusive Eco Thorttle System that ensures supreme fuel efficiency. It can run for maximum 8.1 hours on less than 1 gallon of fuel.
Parallel Support: If you need more power than you can use EU2200i with a parallel connection to same or other model like EU2000i. This will give you more power with consistency.
Fuel Shut Off: If you switch this, your generator will automatically shut off when it sense low fuel in it. It prevents fuel issues along with other mechanical issues in the generator parts and gear. This will keep your generator safe for a long time.
Electronic Circuit Breaker: EU2200i has a tremendous circuit breaker that saves the generator and the machines running on it in case of power overload.
Advanced Inverter Technology: This generator has a tremendous inverter technology that is excellent for sensitive equipment like laptop, mobile, etc.
Warranty: Honda EU2200i is covered by three years of residential and commercial warranty. To avail this, all you have to do is buy this from an authorized dealer or from CampingWorld.
Honda EU2200 Technical Specifications
|Engine Speed||4000 rpm – 4500 rpm (with Eco Throttle® switch off)|
|Cooling System||Forced Air|
|AC Output||120V / 2200W max. (18.3A); 120 / 1800W rated (15A)|
|Receptacles||20A 120V Duplex|
|DC Output||12V, 100W (8.3A)|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (gal / L)||0.95 US gal / 3.6 L|
|Engine Oil Capacity (oz. / L)||14 oz. /0.44 L|
|Run Time per Tankful||3.2 hours @ rated load; 8.1 hours @ ¼ load|
|Dimensions (L x W x H – in./mm)||20 inches x 11.4 inches x 16.7 inches / 509 mm x 290 mm x 425 mm|
|Noise Level||62 dB @ rated load and 53 dB @ ¼ load|
|Dry Mass (lbs. / kg)||46.5 lbs. / 21.1 kg|
|Wet Weight (lbs. / kg)||53.6 lbs. / 24.04 kg|
|Ignition System||Full transistor|
|Residential Warranty||3 Years|
|Commercial Warranty||3 Years|
Is the Honda EU2200i easy to operate?
Is it? Let’s find out.
It has a tremendous automatic mechanical de-compressor which allows you to start the machine using little or no force. It has made the operation easier. Honda EU2200i has its legendary noise reduction capability which enables it to operate at low or no noise. To be specific you will get a maximum of 57 dB(A) when running at full power. That means you can put it anywhere and forget about it. Another great opportunity with this generator is its weight, less than 47lbs. That means moving from place to place has never been easier. How about dimension? 20.0″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″ seems pretty small for this beast yet another quality to think of. Easier fill/drain with shut off valve has added more flexibility than ever. It also has a smart oil indication feature that shuts of the machine automatically when it senses low fuel. So you don’t need wait or keep an eye on the oil any more. It has a fuel capacity of .95 gal which again features low weight and it has 10% added runtime than the previous EU2000i. The Honda EU2200i generator is powered by the Honda GXR120 Commercial Series engine which is well admired for its fuel-efficient performance. Last but not least, Starting EU2200i is easier than ever because of its cutting edge technology. So, we can say that Honda EU2200i easy to operate.
How is Its Power Output?
When it is a concern of power, the engine comes first. The EU2200i uses Honda’s one of the best engine GXR120. It’s a commercial engine and capable of producing smooth, noiseless and fuel efficient performance. The size of the engine is rather small compared to other engines yet at 121cc, the GXR120 is unbeatable. It always ensures extreme power support for the EU2200i. The best news for the user is that GXR120 was originally industrialized for heavy duty construction equipment so the reliability and durability is beyond question here.
Now what is the output of this beautiful engine? Well, you will get AC output of 120V 2200W max. (18.3A), 1800W rated (15A) and DC output of 12V, 100W (8.3A). This enables you to run wide variety of electronics items. Some of them are Blender, Microwave Oven, TV / DVD, Computer, Hair Dryer, Incandescent Lights, Mini Fridge, Refrigerator or Freezer (Energy Star) and many more.
Another great feature of EU2200i that will ensure supreme power output is its parallel connection. It allows pairing of the all-new Honda EU2200i with a Honda EU2000i K1/T1 model or another EU2200i for added convenience and more power. This will ensure superior experience and strong power support to solve your purpose.
Is it easy to maintain?
Honda EU2200i is one of the best in Honda super quite portable generators. This is an inverter equipped model that comprises momentous engineering and enclosed body which results noiseless performances. Honda, like always, ensured easy maintenance procedure so that end-user finds it comfortable to maintain this amazing generator. There are numerous tremendous engineering and designing included in this generator and they are solely focused on easy maintenance. Every user can maintain their generator without any prior knowledge. It’s that simple.
EU2200i includes a larger oil filler opening along with a longer spout. This will assist you refueling faster and cleaner. Bigger oil drain gutter is also available in this model so oil change is happening in a blink of any eye. This also removes any dirt and other contamination easily.
It also has a fuel shutoff valve. This ensures shutting of the engine when it is low on fuel. For this you will have to keep the switch to “fuel off” position. This ensures good condition of machine parts and gears. It does it automatically so fewer things to worry about while maintaining the generator.
Increased product durability and reduced potential damage to the generator body is ensured by stamped metal recoil rope. No need to worry about generator body. Also there is a color-coded operational contact points to walk you through the starting mechanism.
This generator can be easily paired with different generators to ensure robust performances. This function is built-in so there is no chance for error or any damage. The function is user friendly and smooth. You won’t need any prior knowledge to do this only a few pre-guided tasks and you are good to go. You can pair EU2200i with the same model or other model like Honda EU2000i K1/T1, Honda EU2000i.
Ventilation is an important part of any machine and this portable generator got it figured. It has an increased ventilation area of 2.31 square inch which is more than enough. This insures greater inverter cooling. There are some additional new ducts which allow promising internal air flow. It keeps the key components cool and thus ensures durable machine. This will also improve overall performance of the generator. No need to worry about.
In short the EU2200i got everything figured. You don’t have to do much to maintain this generator. Everything is pre-defined, automated and taken care off. This is a smart generator and is easy to maintain. Have a look at the owner’s manual here to see for yourself.
Does it come with a good warranty?
Good warranty? The all new Honda EU2200i came with best warranty. Unlike other portable generator, Honda EU2200i is offering three years of warranty for both residential and commercial use. This simplifies the confidence and the capabilities of this generator as they are giving such a long term warranty. Make sure you are buying this portable generator from Honda’s authorized dealer to avail this warranty. It’s always good to know that you are covered from top to bottom for up-to three years. This is the best you can get in this line of product. According to Honda, as they are confident on their new creation, you won’t need any warranty because you can run this generator smoothly way more than three years. That’s for sure.
Is it expensive?
Well, it’s a burning question. But, before judging the price its worth taking a look at what you are getting. Firstly, you got a reliable name “Honda”. You have a superior engine GXR120 inside a beautiful generator dimension of 20.0″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″. Less than 47 LBS and comprises less sound. And it has three years warranty. So, is it expensive? Not at all. Honda’s recommended retail price is only $1149.95 which is less than EU2000i. There is a chance that you might get some discounts from several dealers. So, Good luck.
EU2200i, EU2200i Camo, EU2200i Companion: What is the difference?
Honda EU2200i Portable generator features a runtime of 3.2 to 8.1 hours on only .95 gallon of fuel. It has a maximum output of 120 volts/2200 watts/18.3 Amps. The prominent Eco Throttle® feature improves fuel efficiency by reducing the speed according to the need. As it is not always running at full speed it lowers the sound of generator. It also has auto shut off option that stops the generator if it finds low fuel. It is also well admired for low noise. Everything in a relatively low price that the previous version Honda EU2000i.
Honda EU2200i Camo has everything that is in Honda EU2200i. It has only one additional feature which is the Realtree APG wrap. It removes the traditional red color completely and gives a nice camouflage to the machine. It is tremendous for outdoor users, especially hunters.
Apart from the features in Honda EU2200i, Honda EU2200i Companion has some technical enhancements. This model removed the traditional 12V DC outlet also as opposed to 20A 125V Duplex Outlet; it is furnished with a 30A locking plug. It also has a 20A 125V single outlet too.
Difference with older Honda EU2000i
|Run Time per Tankful||3.4 hr at rated load
8.1 hrs at 1/4 load
|3.2 hr at rated load
8.1 hrs at 1/4 load
|Noise Level||59 dB(A) at rated load
53 dB(A) at 1/4 load
|57 dB(A) at rated load
48 dB(A) at 1/4 load
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||20.2″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″||20.0″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″|
|Dry Weight||45.6 lb.||46.5 lb.|
First of all you must understand EU2000i is no longer made by Honda. So getting a new machine is a rare case. Now if you come to the engine then EU2200i Uses far better engine than EU2000i. EU2200i uses a 121 cc heavy duty engine GXR120 while EU2000i uses Gx100. EU2200i ensures DC output of 12V, 100W (8.3A) Where EU2000i has a slightly lower performances 12V, 96W (8A). The New EU2200i has 10% more in every possible way than EU2000i. It provides extra 200 V than the previous version allowing the end user run a wide variety of electronics products. While it’s a concern of price EU2200i is slightly lower than the previous version with more capabilities. Unlike other generator, EU2200i has 2.31 square inch of ventilation area which keeps the machine cool even on the top speed. This will eventually safeguard the portable generator from unwanted damages. EU2200i is a pound heavier than the previous version. EU2000i was 46 pounds and this one is 47 pounds. Though both machine starts from noise level of 53 dB yet at top speed EU2200i is a bit louder than EU2000i. EU2000i makes 59 dB at top speed where EU2200i makes 62 dB at top speed. But the point is EU2200i is making 200W more than the EU2000 and 3 dB more noise for 200W more power is nothing.
Honda EU2200i Recall – 20 March 2019 – All You need to know
On March 20 2019, something significant happened within the engine industry circles. The Honda USA Company officially recalled 200,000 units of its EU2200i and EB 2200i generator models. According to company sources, the following models were affected: the EU2200i Companion, the EU2200i, the EB 2200i and the EU2200 Camo. As noted, official company information indicates that more than 200,000 units were affected. These units were already out in the market.
A spokesperson from Honda said that this recall was caused by a defect in engine manufacture. The Honda communications manager, Davis Adams explained that the main issue involved the screws that were used to assemble the fuel valve. The screws tended to loosen, allowing this valve it to leak fuel. For this reason, in case gasoline or gasoline vapors leaked, an explosion or a fire could result.
In case you own any of the models affected, the following post will help you resolve such issues. It is, however, important to wait until the company deals fully with this matter before purchasing similar engines.
Why Recall these Engines?
The recall of these generators may not have been due to major defects. Nevertheless, coming from such a market leader, it was considered a serious issue. Some of the Honda EB 2200i and EU 2200 I had already shown signs of such problems as fuel leaks. The main reason was that the screws used to fasten these valves loosened over time. This could easily result in a fire explosion.
It is quite easy to notice a fuel leak just by the smell of gas around the generator. For this reason, and to forestall a major fire hazard, Honda USA, in association with the UCPSA have acted to issue a recall warning of all the generators in question. These machines are mainly distributed by the Honda Power Equipment USA.
Find Out if Your Generator is affected
In case you kept the original packing, just check the inbox. You will find a green dot sticker where the barcode is. This indicates that your unit has already been fixed and is, therefore, not affected by the recall. You may also find out the serial number of the generator. From the control panel, turn the machine to the right. You will find the warning labels located at the bottom. On the right, you will find some ventilation slots. Just below these, you will get a sticker with a serial number. In case the number tallies with those of the affected models then it is wise to consult a Honda Service agent to check the machine.
EB2200i Serial numbers starting with : EAJT-1000001 to EAJT-1005474
EU2200i Serial Numbers : (including Companion and Camo generators) EAMT-1000001 to EAMT-1260796
You can also open the cover of the engine. Remove the engine cover panel around the place where the recoil starter is. You will find a sticker marked ‘Honda’ on the left side of the air filter housing. If the label contains the code ‘7EP’ this means the unit is already repaired. It is safe. Alternatively, you may find a black dot around the engine cover boss. This also means your generator has already been repaired and is not part of the recalled engines.
What Should You Do?
First of all, it is important to take note of the fact that the recall issue affecting these models of generators is not a very big deal. This can happen to any type of generator. Also, Honda offers one of the best warranties that users can get anywhere.
If your generator is registered with American Honda, you will get a notification indicating whether you are affected. You may also contact the recall number (888) 888-3139. Visit the website of the Honda USA and check under the updates and recalls page.
Your generator will, likely, be repaired by an agent who is duly authorized by the Honda service. It is a free service. According to warranty terms, this recall does not apply for generators that are already repaired. In such a case, the repair will be at your own cost. You need to contact Honda to find out your status with regards to these matters.
Honda EU2200i Alternatives
Wen 56225i 2000w vs Honda EU2200i
The WEN 56225i generator is certainly a worthy alternative to the Honda EU2000 series. In the first place, this is a superbly super quiet portable inverter generator. It has a remarkable fuel shutoff feature that makes it a darling among buyers. What are other features of this machine that makes it such a hot favorite among users? Consider a few of these:
Admirable Features of the WEN 56225i Generator
- Extremely Quiet:Its 53 dB operation is comparably quieter than the sound of normal human conversation. It is softer than the sound produced by a window air conditioner. This information comes courtesy of the US Health Department. If you go out tailgating, hunting, or camping, this is the right machine to limit those invasive noises. It is also perfect for restoring backup power.
- It is CARB and EPA III Compliant. The generator boasts a 79.7 cc 4-stroke engine that is capable of 1800 rated watts and 2250 surge watts.
- Long Lifespan: The engine’s fuel shutoff system maximizes the generator’s lifespan. This is achieved by merely using the fuel remaining in the carburetor before shut down. This feature is excellent for fighting the build-up and blockages resulting from stagnant fuel that may be found inside the carburetor. It also helps minimize maintenance tasks and works to prolong the engine lifespan.
- Clean Power: The WEN 56225i generator produces clean power. This can safely operate sensitive electronics, including computers, smartphones, TVs, and tablets. Notably, the engine's power output is factored to mirror a pure sine wave. This means pure, clean power.
- Superb Safety: The generator limits the total harmonic distortion, reducing it to under 0.3 percent at zero load and under 1.2 percent running a full load. This makes the generator suitable and safe to power cellphones, monitors, laptops, tablets, and other sensitive equipment. The engine features an ultra-efficient single-gallon tank that provides more than 6 hours run-time operating time at half-load.
- Superior Warranty, Fuel Efficiency: The engine has a three-prong 120v, 15A receptacles, two 5V USB ports, two years warranty, and an oil access panel. With this machine, you can maximize fuel economy just by engaging the eco-mode switch. When you do this, you allow the engine to adjust its fuel consumption automatically. This is done even as you plug items into the panel or unplug it. Such action limits unnecessary usage of gasoline.
- Extra Energy: In case you require more energy, it is very easy to link up two identical WEN inverter generators. You can do this using a WEN 56421 Parallel Connection Kit. This kit is usually sold separately. In this way, you can share wattage amongst several units. Additionally, the low-fuel and low-oil automatic shutdown feature combine well with the indicator lights and built-in overload protection to safeguard your generator and household electronics from damage.
Westinghouse WH2200iXLT vs Honda EU2200i
The Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is an extremely-quiet inverter generator that is available at half the price of the famous Honda EU2000i generator. The overall quality of the Westinghouse is also pretty good. The big question is: How does the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT generator compare with the popular Honda EU2000i?
As a consumer, is this the best generator for you? What makes the Westinghouse so unique? Is this model of a generator worth your money? What are some popular features of the Westinghouse generator? Let us now consider this:
Favorite Features of the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT Inverter Generator
- The Westinghouse-WH2000iXLT is an excellent generator for a variety of events and outdoor activities. It has the following features that make it popular with many users:
- Powerful engine: This generator has a powerful engine that is a 79cc, CARB compliant, OHV four-stroke type. The Westinghouse engine can do 17 hours while running at 25% load. It can also do 13 hours while running at 50% load.
- Its Rated Watts is 1800 while the starting watts is 2200.
- The good engine features include a dual muffler design, asymmetrical fans, power indicator lights, an acoustic hood that is double-insulated, coded touch points, low oil shutdown, an economy mode, a lightweight and a 52 to 59 decibel sound output. It has a tool kit and an oil-fill container. The engine gives less than three percent total harmonic distortion (THD).
How Quiet is the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT?
- When you decide to buy a generator, one of the most significant factors to consider should be the noise levels of the machine that you wish to purchase. Inverter generators come top of the game regarding this. In the first place, they are designed to operate very quietly. The main reason for this is that they use superior sound-dampening technology.
- As a result, these generators have much quieter engines compared to their peers. The engines have sound mufflers that serve to reduce the noise produced by the machine. The Westinghouse WH2000i XLT generator enjoys all these features. Compared to traditional generators, the noise levels produced by an engine of the caliber of the Westinghouse is remarkable.
- The term ‘parallel operation' means that one can connect two similar generator models. You can, in this way, double the power quantities produced. You thus get double power compared to the amount of energy delivered by just one inverter generator.
- Many inverter generators, like the Westinghouse, are usually small and portable. For this reason, they are easy to hook up to each other to get the desired higher amounts of power.
- Engine capacity: The engine capacity usually determines much of what a machine can do. The Westinghouse WH2000iXLT has a powerful, four- stroke, 79 cc OHV engine. The generator’s running wattage is 1800 watts. The starting wattage is marginally higher, rated at 2200 watts.
- It is easy to start the engine using the recoil method. The Westinghouse fuel tank is capable of holding 1.3 gallons of fuel. This means that the generator can run for 17 hours working at a -quarter load. If you increase this load to about 50 percent, the generator run still goes for some 13 hours.
Westinghouse iGen2500 vs Honda EU2200i
Most people prefer buying inverter generators instead of conventional gas generators. There are many reasons why that is so. Take, for instance, the Westinghouse iGen2500 inverter generator. It is one of the best-selling machines of its class. It can run for a maximum of 9 hours using a single gallon of fuel. It is a compact, well-made, lightweight, highly reliable machine. Moreover, it is affordable for most people.
Fantastic Features of the Westinghouse iGen2500 Inverter Generator
- Compact and Lightweight: The iGen2500 only weighs 48 lbs. It offers a built-in carry handle that is useful for easy transportation.
- Safe Power Source: It is safe to use with sensitive electronics like the laptop, cellphones, and computers.
- It operates at 2500 Peak Watts and 3% THD.
- It features 2 USB ports that quickly power your phone and other electronic devices.
- Fuel Efficiency: It offers a 30-50% greater fuel efficiency than the traditional generator. It can do 7.7 hours on just one gallon with a 25% load.
- Quiet Operation: The iGen2500 has a double-insulated enclosure, low- stone mufflers and cooling fans that help to reduce the noise. Indeed, the engine is quieter than the sound produced by normal human conversation.
- It works at 2500 peak watts and 2,200 running watts.
- Comprehensive Warranty: It has a full 3-Year Warranty.
- It is EPA Compliant.
- Lightweight: The iGen2500 weighs less than 49 lbs.
- Safety: It is ideal for powering household equipment like TV, lights, small power tools, and computers.
Honda EU2200i is a tremendous creation of Honda. After long time Honda releases a new portable generator and its quality is non-negotiable. Honda’s reputation in portable generator industry is admirable and they proved it again by releasing EU2200i. There are numerous generators in the market but performance like this one is truly rare. No one can generate something closer to “line power” so efficiently and simultaneously like this one. Don’t forget the three years of residential and commercial warranty. Also the parallel connection is another awesome feature that can ensure robust power. As a top notch portable generator, Honda EU2200i is worth a try.